Friday, August 5, 2011

Comic Originality a bygone event

They are killing Spiderman or have killed Spiderman in the Marvel Universe.  That is the Ultimate Universe.  I guess that is suppose to be a alternative Universe. Now they are bringing in another kid to take his place.  The big hype is he is multi-racial.  My big hype is he isnt Peter Parker.  Marvel is patting itself on the back for their diversity and originality.  Diversity can be achieved without shaking up the story. Originality, please, create a new character that works.  There are millions of ideas for this.  Quit stealling other characters.  This may be why I quit regularly collecting comics.  This was a big part of my early life and helped me get the house I now live in, so yes, I know comics.  Marvel and DC Seem to think that they need to rewrite everything to make it good.  No. We readers want stories that we can relate and escape in, one that stretches our imagination not tries to raise our social consciousness.  Who are they to say we should believe as they do. 

Another example is the Rawhide Kid, a great comic for years with great stories, all of a sudden they change his sexual prefrence and make him gay.  Really, why not create an original character and make him gay instead of changing something that is working.  (Sidenote: I am not against Gays, read what I am saying.  Dont fix, what isnt broken.)  Archie Comics got it right.  They didnt make Jughead gay, though he had some stereotypical gay habits of hating girls for a while.  No, they created a new character that seems to be doing well.

DC is rebooting their whole universe.  I laugh at this.  Seriously, you couldnt get readers by writing good stories so you went with a gimic.  Rewriting Superman where he has to wear body armor? So much for more powerful than a locomotive.  I understand getting rid of the red shorts (Costume change in new Man of Steel Movie) but really would you make fun of a man who could deep fry with a glance?  I dont think so.  It is getting late for me so I am stopping here, though I may ad an addendum later.  My main point is originality.  Why change what is working.  Find out what happened in the creator's mind to start the comic.  Find your own.  The new character's are there waiting for a genius to bring them to the readers.

~curtain~

No comments:

Post a Comment