Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Blessings

by Kenneth McDade on Saturday, August 21, 2010 at 3:14pm

 Heroes come in all ages. Three of my students drove across town today to show up at my door step because they knew I was having trouble burying my dog in a clay filled back yard. They dug the grave and were his pallbearers. Emotions are running rambant with me right now.

SOme of these next descriptions may seem too graphic or too unsympathetic to some, do not be fooled.  No one could love this dog more.  But he has moved on and chasing rabbits and squirrls in the afterlife.

 Since Thursday I have received wonderful blessings from friends and family about their experiences with their animal families.  To all of you I am grateful.

I called a friend of mine at 11:00 Thursday when I got home.  He was used to helping me move bodies at odd hours (Don't ask.). We both dug and dug and accomplished nothing with our age and lack of good digging tools.   I did discover that Hoover had broken his neck.  In a weird way it made me feel better than thinking he had been choking to death for a long time.

 We secured Hoover in a plastic shroud and covered him with heavy piece of lawn ornamentation.  (It was Hoover's favorite, he marked it often).  I left him there and wasn't happy about it.  Friday when I woke I knew it would not be a good day when  I checked on him to find a huge buzzard sitting on my bird bath.  I covered Hoover even more and circled his body with Clorox, hoping this would keep the buzzards at bay.  Then, I took a shot at them with my trusty tennis ball launcher that Hoover loved.  By the way, Thibedeaux is afraid of buzzards and a little sensitive to this subject.  He was hiding from them.  Don't mention them if you see him.

All day Friday I checked with vets to find out if they could dispose of the body for me.  Yes, but I'd have to bring him in.  Well, great... if you have a pick up truck, bad if you have a closed in SUV.  Hoover was a little over 100 pounds and fully stretched out when he died; Plus, he had now been dead for two days in the blistering hot sun and the wrappings were not as air tight as I would like.   Tried borrowing several trucks that day.  Friday is a bad day to borrow trucks, nobody I checked with had one available.

I had to work the football game at work on friday and knew that I would not get home until late again.  When I finished I stopped by Wal-mart and bought bleach, scrubbing broom for back deck, package of 16 gloves or 8 pair, filtered mask, plastic bisquine, and a truck tarp.  One guy asked if I was getting rid of a body.  I ran away from him quickly, just for effect.

 It was a typical Wal-mart Friday night at 11:00.  100 people in line to shop and only two checkout lines open,  Frustration was high with some and not so much with others.  I was fine this time and wondered why I had the calm that I did.  One woman threw a fit and dropped everything on the middle of the floor and then shoved a grocery basket into a shelf.  Nothing fell.   The rest of us in line just laughed.  If she waited another minute before storming out, 3 other registers opened, but I stayed in my line and was finished in a short time.

I went home and fed Thibedeaux and checked to see if the vultures had done any damage.  There were a lot of their feathers in my yard, but no damage seemed to have been done.  I went to bed still upset and not sure I had a plan.

Saturday morning, while unloading my supplies out of my SUV, my phone rang.  It was one of my students looking for my house.  This is usually not  a good sign to let your school students know exactly where you live.  "Why," I asked?  Because we want to help you with your dog.  "Oh," Lump in throat, and directions given.  Three senior boys from my school had heard me talking about the clay in my yard and came and dug in the hot sun a six by five foot grave for my dear Hoover. I had already wrapped him in all the tarps and he was packaged really well.  The seniors reverently lifted him and walked him through my yard to that grave and gently set his body down.  They then silently filled the grave and covered him up.  One of them said the best Eulogy of all when they were finished.  "Good Dog."  It was Hoover's favorite words.  These senior boys are not my students this year, they receive no extra grade from me, nor would they accept money for work or even for the gas to get to my house.  They will ever be in my heart.

I am moved by the blessing God Gives me.  Not only from the friends on Face Book who have shared their love and stories with me, but from co workers who have given me sympathy cards and a quick hug to let me know they are thinking of me.  Thank you each and every one.
Buzzard in birdbath in backyard. Say that three times fast.3 heroes

No comments:

Post a Comment